38th Shooting In Surrey Early Friday Morning Sends Two To Hospital

Surrey RCMP and the B.C. Ambulance Service respond to a shooting that sent to people to hospital in Surrey, early Friday morning.

SURREY – The shootings spree in Surrey seems to have no end as the 38th reported shooting in the city in the early hours of Friday morning sent two people to hospital.

Neighbour Monica Narula told CBC news that around 1 a.m. PT, she heard four gunshots on Iona Place, near 123A Street. She said about two minutes later, police arrived.

“We heard a loud scream of a man, you know, screaming in agony,” said Narula.

“It’s really scary. You’re just relaxing in your living room, and then you hear something like that, of course it’s really scary. It’s very scary.”

Inspector Anick Pasqua with Surrey RCMP said officers were responding to a mischief call on Iona Place, when another call came in about somebody being shot.

“Upon arrival we found there were two victims. Both victims have been taken to hospital,” said Pasqua.

“The one victim was in the cul-de-sac, and the other victim — that I would have to verify — I’m not sure where they were.”

Police confirmed one victim was taken to hospital in serious condition, while the other was in stable condition. They don’t have any suspects in custody.

“Right now we don’t have anybody, we’re trying to locate a suspect. We don’t know if there’s one, or two, or how many suspects. They’re outstanding at this point,” said Pasqua.

This was the 38th reported shooting in the Surrey and North Delta area since the beginning of March. Police say many of those are related to a dial-a-dope turf war. This shooting is not believed to be linked to those.

The victims, whose names have not been released, are in their 20s. One has serious wounds but is expected to survive and the other victim’s wounds are “relatively minor,” Surrey RCMP Cpl. Scotty Schumann said.

“Police are still trying to identify the suspects who are only described as three or four males in their early 20s,” he said. “Officers are combing the area to identify more witnesses and any evidence. This appears to have been a targeted shooting and police don’t believe there is any further risk to the public.

Meantime, there are unconfirmed reports Friday’s shooting took place at a recovery house.

“We’re looking into that today,” Jas Rehal, Surrey’s bylaw enforcement manager, said Friday morning.

Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner recently said shooting victims who refuse to cooperate with police investigation should pay their own hospital bills.

Comments are closed