India’s Image Damaged With Frequent Corruption Allegations

0
155

51 Percent Agree That Arvind Kejriwal, Leader Of ‘India Against Corruption’, Is Right To Lead His Campaign!

MUMBAI – Most Indian citizen (97percent) unanimously felt that frequent allegations of corruption is damaging India’s image globally, according to the ‘Mood of the Nation Survey’ conducted by global research firm Ipsos.

Half of the Indian citizen (51percent) felt that Arvind Kejriwal, leader of ‘India Against Corruption’ is right in accusing one after another politicians and corporates for corruption. However, remaining half (49percent) were either against or not sure if his ways are right to level charges without substantial hard evidence.

Support for Arvind Kejriwal’s continuous plan of exposing corrupt politicians and corporates are particularly strong in Mumbai (70percent), Lucknow (60percent) and Chennai (50percent). However, citizens of Kolkata (64percent), Delhi (58percent) and Bangalore (54percent) are not sure and didn’t approve of Arvind Kejriwal’s continuous plan of exposing corrupt politicians without strong evidence to back his allegations.

“A large majority of the respondents (94percent) across all surveyed cities (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Lucknow) thought that the prospect of inclusive growth was getting damaged due to wide spread corruption charges as the government and senior bureaucrats were reluctant to take hard policy and administrative decisions to avoid getting into another round of corruption charges,” said Biswarup Banerjee,” Head of Marketing Communication, Ipsos in India.

Half (53 percent) of Indians felt that Lokpal Bill can root out corruption from India, whereas 31 percent respondents said no and 16 percent said they are not sure. “This suggests that Lokpal Bill (in general and not specifically any versions) has failed to convince half the respondents about its ability to uproot corruption completely,” added Banerjee.

Among the respondents who felt that Lokpal Bill can root out corruption, middle class (Sec B respondents) were significantly higher than rich section of the society (Sec A respondents). Among the markets surveyed, citizens of Bangalore were most optimistic (73 percent) and people of Kolkata were least optimistic (33 percent) about Lokpal Bill’s ability to uproot corruption.

More than seven out of ten (73 percent) people think that all politicians are corrupt. This view is significantly stronger among males than females. In Chennai majority of the respondents (94 percent) share this view, whereas in Bangalore (87 percent), Mumbai and Lucknow (76 percent) think that all politicians are corrupt.

Six out of ten (59 percent) Indians believe all bureaucrats / government servants including police are corrupt. It is interesting to note that a big majority in Chennai (91 percent) and Bangalore (80 percent) think that all bureaucrats / government servants including police are corrupt. Whereas in Mumbai and Lucknow only (53 percent) share this view.

Indian citizen have a very mixed opinion about corruption practices prevailing among corporates and businessmen. 44 percent are of the opinion that all corporates and traditional family business houses are corrupt and an equal number (44 percent) said they are not and the remaining 12 percent said they are not sure.

Among the respondents who said corporates / businessmen are not corrupt, older age group 37 to 50 respondents were significantly higher than the younger age group 22 to 36. Top three cities in terms of rating corporates/ businessmen corrupt are Chennai (64 percent), Bangalore (57 percent) and Mumbai (43 percent).

Ipsos ‘Mood of the Nation’ survey was conducted between October 25-27, 2012 among 420 men and women in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Lucknow.