Surrey Looking At Favourable Hiring Climate This Fall


SURREY – Surrey area employers anticipate a favourable hiring climate for the fourth quarter of 2012, according to the latest Manpower Employment Outlook Survey.

“Survey data shows that 17 per cent of employers intend to hire while none expect cutbacks for the upcoming quarter (October to December),” stated Jeff Polkinghorne of Manpower’s Vancouver office. The other 83 per cent plan to maintain their current staffing levels for the remaining months of the year.

“Surrey’s fourth quarter Net Employment Outlook of 17 per cent is a considerable decrease from the previous quarter report of 27 per cent,” said Polkinghorne. “However, it is also a 10 percentage point increase from the Outlook reported during the same time last year which indicates an upbeat hiring pace for the upcoming months.”

“Job seekers in all regions are likely to benefit from a positive hiring climate from October through December, with employers in Western Canada reporting the most upbeat Outlook,” said Byrne Luft, Vice President of Operations, Staffing Services for Manpower Canada. “Although regional Outlooks have experienced moderate decreases compared to the previous quarter, job seekers should maintain confidence in the labour market as employers throughout Canada anticipate the hiring pace will remain steady through the autumn. Most of the new jobs created in Canada this year have been full-time, high paying positions. Many of the job reductions have come from part-time employment. This movement from part-time to full-time employment is an encouraging sign.”