Man Charged For Triple Stabbing In ChinatownHad Long History Of Violence And Was Out On Day Pass


Blair Evan Donnelly, 64, was arrested and charged with three counts of aggravated assault following a triple stabbing in Chinatown this week.
The Chinatown tragic stabbing in which a husband and wife in their 60s and a woman in her early 20s were injured, brings back the debate of repeat offenders.
The alleged stabber, according to the police and media reports has a long history of violence.
In 2008, Donnelly was found not criminally responsible for killing his 16-year-old daughter Stephanie because of a mental disorder, and he was incarcerated at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Coquitlam, B.C, CBC reported.
During an unescorted release from the Coquitlam facility in 2009, he stabbed a friend.
At a news conference Monday morning, VPD Chief Const. Adam Palmer said the suspect was on a day pass from a forensic psychiatric institution at on the day of the stabbing.
Vancouver Police Chief Palmer and Mayor Ken Sim were joined by community leaders Monday morning to speak about the disturbing incident.
He has a history with police and is not from Vancouver, Palmer added.
The stabbing shook the entire community. Premier David Eby said, “I am so angry. I am white-hot angry that this person was released unaccompanied into the community to have a devastating impact on all of the hard work of these community members.”
“I cannot fathom how someone who murdered his daughter was released in 2009, went out and stabbed somebody else, would then be released again, unaccompanied, [was] somehow able to go out and buy a knife, and then go to Chinatown and stab three people,” said Eby.
According the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) stabbings occurred just before 6 p.m. on September 11, when three festival-goers were attacked by a stranger near the festival’s stage, at Columbia and Keefer streets.
Vancouver was celebrating Light Up Chinatown festival.
VPD officers were nearby and responded immediately, providing aid to the victims and obtaining a description of the suspect from eye-witnesses. A man was taken into custody nearby and is currently being held at jail.
Vancouver’s Mayor Ken Sim released a statement saying every single person who lives in or visits the city has a right to feel safe. “To see individuals physically harmed by such senseless violence is heartbreaking,” he said.
“Our thoughts are with those who have been impacted by this act of violence. We wish all of those affected a speedy recovery, and offer our support to their families and loved ones,” he said.
He further added that the city will not allow this senseless act of violence to disrupt celebrations of “all that makes our city great, and we will work each and every day to ensure Vancouver is a place where people can live, work and thrive in a safe environment.”